Monday 31 March 2014

Tasks 5c&d) Thoughts on Ethics in Professional Inquiry

Reading through this reader gave me a lot of food for thought on ethics and was is considered 'good' & 'bad' within different societies, cultures and work places. It also made me very aware of what is/isn't ethically sound within my own inquiry. Talking to Melanie Canon via our SIG group made me think a lot about the ethics behind the participants of my inquiry and the anonymity of personal data. As her inquiry is based more on children/students this may be more of an issue as children (or parents of) are less likely to give consent in publicising personal info then adults within a professional environment. All those involved in my own inquiry will receive an explanation of exactly what I am inquiring about and a consent form to sign if they are happy to participate. There names and personal data will stay anonymous unless they specifically give permission for me to publicise.

The idea of covert 'v' overt will come into my inquiry as I plan to use observation methods in my research. I am more likely to use the 'covert' method as a dancer because I can easily observe during rehearsals and this is less likely to distort results or behaviour. However all those involved will be aware of my inquiry.

I have decided to mainly focus on the aspects of management neccessary to creating and sustaining an effective working environment. This will likely bring up both personal ethics when discussing with individuals, professional ethics when looking at specific rules and regulations in place and organisational ethics as the dance world as a whole has a certain way of doing things. It is likely to have impact on both those involved and those looking to be along with other dancers, therefore all the results and data will be fair and truthful.


No comments:

Post a Comment