Thursday 28 November 2013

Task 3a: My Current Networks

What are the current and different ways (tools) that you have, or do, engage your professional network?
Firstly for this question I used the google docs web 2.0 tool introduced to me earlier this course to share with you my brainstorm on a few of my ideas and thoughts on my current networks and their uses. This helped me to elaborate on each in more detail. Here is the diagram:
The main tool I currently use for networking is the internet and through this various other tools. One being Facebook. Being in the ballet world you realise how small it actually is. It is incredible how many people know each other from years back or have met through school, workshops, summer schools, auditions, jobs, the list is endless. I don't think I am yet to meet and add a new friend on facebook in the dance world without several mutual friends. Thus proving that Facebook is a reliable and valuable tool to network with those alike in my profession. Another tool very similar being Twitter. On my account I follow various dance related accounts whether it be other dancers, choreographers, companies or dance news profiles. This is another great way to hear about things quickly and efficiently and interact with those necessary.

I also mentioned in my 'Flirting with Flickr' blog about Network Dance. This is a much more formal tool I use to engage in my professional network. You can see on my account my CV, photos of myself, a personal profile and contact details. Likewise with others on there you can too again making it an effective way to engage. You can also receive emails and notifications on the latest news/auditions etc. Emailing is something I am less likely to do nowadays unless something specific calls for it such as auditions. Also within my workplace, my director and managers contact us via email as it is an effective way to communicate within our establishment quickly and easily. 
What are the established (and different) ways that others use their networks, especially if they are more established or experienced practitioners that you admire?I think even the more established and experienced practitioners use tools similar to my own but due to their profile gain more interaction from it. For example on twitter if they are known they will gain more followers and subsequently more opportunities to network with a wider range of other professionals. Another way oF networking is via personal websites. For example when a dancer has their own site/page/profile space displaying their contact details publically, others are likely to get in touch quickly and easily thus making networking easier for both parties.
Another way of networking is word of mouth and face-to-face communication. I currently tend not to do so much of this as working in Estonia means your surrounding contacts are limited to those you work with everyday. I was involved in more of this at school however, when having experienced practitioners in often we would be given opportunities to attend workshops which meant we could take a class with them and they could view us as dancers with possible employment prospects just as we could get a feel for them as a company. This is probably the best way to network as although it is often a formal affair, you get to meet others on a personal level and have a better understanding of what the other is looking to network for.
Are there methods, approaches and technologies that you use socially that might apply and help you develop your professional networking?
Reflecting on my other answers I have partly answered this question by mentioning facebook and twitter, both of which I originally used socially but now developed further so I can also use professionally too by contacting those I have met through facebook. The choreographer for a piece I danced in my first season added me on facebook and I have recently been in touch via facebook with him about work related things as he is returning this season. Flickr is another technology that I have been introduced to on this course that can be used socially but also to develop my own self promotion for job applications or future references etc. I also value face to face communication and like I said previously I do do such 'networking' with those around me. When I took open class in summer back in the UK the teacher afterwards seemed interested in me so came and asked where I danced/had trained. Immediately we knew mutual people and ended up having a really interesting conversation. I developed this into networking through mutual contacts. 

When you reflect upon current networks, can you think about the motives of others to be in the network and what values and purpose they have in mind?In most networks people are involved for similar reasons. A lot want to take away from it the same as each other and therefore are more likely to help one another. In the dance world there are various reasons or motives but the majority are for the same overall reason... work. It can be hard to get work with in this current climate so when you know somebody who knows of work or who needs somebody to work for them networking is crucial. Ethical consideration and personal etiquette are values that are upheld (mostly) in such networks. For example our graduate school teacher did not add/accept any of us 'students' during our time at the school however after graduating we all became facebook friends and keep in contact through photos and status'. I could message them easily via here if needed and it would not be overstepping the mark like it would have been back in school.
What would your ideal network look like and why?
What realistic things could you do to work towards developing your ideal network?
ORGANISED. My ideal network would be an organised one as you all have heard me go on about my organisation habits. For example when finding information it would all be set in separate sections in order for those trying to find something specific to be able to do it with ease and quickly. It would be a network where everybody is aware of each others needs and willing to build and work together to fulfill them as without co-operation networking and its values are completely lost. My ideal network would also be easily accessible at any time to those who needed it and appeal to a large group of people with similar interests and common factors in order for both parties to engage on each others purposes. I think both face to face interaction and that via social media/technology is crucial as we gain a wider idea of each other as professionals and learn from one another through doing this. Ethical considerations would also need to be intact so full respect for those involved, useful criticism only in order to develop and privacy settings to be flexible to suit each individual users requirements. Taking all of these into account I could then engage those I believed willing to participate and see their thoughts and ideas on it. Promotion would be essential in order for me to attract a large amount of people to my network.
What do you not know?
There is a lot of things I do not know and am constantly learning through experience and self reflection. This topic has made me think deeper about the ethical considerations of networking and what is and isn't deemed "appropriate"when engaging with others. It is hard to know what exactly is right or wrong in such situations although for the most part you can gage the 'manner' that you should take. When we're young we learn what manners are and how to be polite etc but with this whole new world of communication via social media/web 2.0 tools/ internet it can be quite interesting to see how many people don't know how to communicate in an appropriate way. Is this lack of caring, lack of awareness or lack of education?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emma,

    Whilst tacking Task 3d and making great efforts to comment and actually read other peoples hard work, I just wanted to commend you on your diagram to demonstrate your tools you use in your networking. I too have tried to display some of my work in this way as I feel it provides instant information for those reading the blog. Plus I find it provides me with a visual memory that we can call upon as we continue to reflect and refer back to our work.

    I also appreciate how you would have an 'organised network' ! I would support that too as I think we must share the same trait - well ordered and in-control existance - not a bad habit to uphold !

    Keep up the good work

    Jo

    ReplyDelete